Re: support for xfce in bullseye minimal netinst iso

Hi,

Sriram wrote:
> it was not a minimal buster iso with xfce but i got this file
> debian-10.4.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso which is around 640 MB

The CD sized images seem to have been discontinued.
I would have expected to find some at least here:
  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/

The demise seems to have history.
A lonely xfce-CD-1 existed with Debian 10 and 9
  https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/10.0.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/
  https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/9.0.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/
A set of 84 CD sized images existed in Debian 8
  https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/8.0.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/
(And i thought the ~ 50 floppies were an insane stack, back in the 1990s
when i witnessed my first Linux installation on a 80386.)

> Can you suggest some links for downloading the bullseye along with xfce
> which comes to less than 1 GB or preferably somewhere around 500-800 MB,

I guess the size requirements of modern XFCE killed the 650 MB image.
You could ask at debian-cd mailing list whether xfce-CD-1 could be revived
as 700 MiB or 800 MiB image for one of the two contemporary CD sizes.
(They really take 702 * 1024 * 1024 or 800 * 1024 * 1024 bytes.)
A more modern request would be for an image for a "1 GB" stick (let's say
950 MiB, to include all hardware cheaters).

  debian-cd@lists.debian.org
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/

> or suggest ways to install the xfce offline  , there is no deb file for such
> GUI's

If you already have a working GNU/Linux system and are very adventurous,
then you could try to add the necessary .deb files to the netinst ISO
and learn the (hopefully few) shell commands to install them from the
booted netinst system.

Identifying the necessary .deb files will not be easy. But i think they
have to be listed in
  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/list-dvd/debian-11.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.list.gz
Getting them is a matter of indvidual dowload from a Debian mirror. Like:
  http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xfce4-taskmanager/
Putting them into the ISO is possible by xorriso multi-session, similar to
the proposal in
You would not suffer the hardships of kernel and ramdisk manipulation but
would have to take care to place each .deb into its proper ISO directory
under
  /pool/main/
It has to be the same as on the Debian mirror server from which you get
them. The final commands to install XFCE will then probably be the easiest
part.

I offer my support as far as adding a prepared tree of pool/main to the
existing netinst ISO is concerned.
Help with everything else would have to be given by others.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas