Re: tomcat8 in debian 10/buster

Hi Dave,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 03:25:00AM -0500, dave@sherohman.org wrote:
> Howdy, list!
>
> I've got a server hosting a proprietary Java application which runs on
> tomcat8, so that server has continued running debian 9/stretch.  But
> debian 9 is now, with the debian 11/bullseye release, going EOL, and
> running public-facing services on EOLed software is bad ju-ju.

Note that Debian stretch continues to receive support from the LTS team
until June 30, 2022 [0].

> So I need to upgrade the server to debian 10/buster, which no longer
> includes tomcat8, and internal testing indicates that this application
> doesn't work on tomcat9.
>
> Does anyone know of a third-party repo which offers a tomcat8 built for
> debian 10?

There are other distros, like Ubuntu Bionic (supported until April 2023)
that include it.  However, note that tomcat8 in Ubuntu is in universe,
rather than main, meaning that it is community supported.

Of course, you could always hire a consultant [1] to produce the
packages that you require.

> (And, yes, I know the correct answer is to tell the application
> developer to get their act together and support a more recent version of
> tomcat.  But we're paying them an obscene amount of money to license
> their software, and they follow IBM's precedent of "the more money you
> pay us, the less we have to listen to you".)

That's unfortunate, but sadly also all too common.  I have seen the same
thing it is quite infuriating.

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/LTS