Re: How to format with stride/stripe_width options during install

On 9/9/21 11:52 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 11:14 AM David Christensen
<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

On 9/8/21 11:07 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
Installing Debian 11 with netinst CD on a server with hardware raid.
Installer has no custom format parameters option for ext4, like stride
and stripe_width. How does one format the raid partitions with these
options during OS installation?

What is the make and model of your server, or motherboard?  Technical
documentation URL?

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTi-LN4F.cfm

The Supermicro X8DTi-LN4F User's Manual, section 1-1 Overview, Onboard I/O states:

Intel ICH10R supports six SATA2 ports (with RAID0, RAID1, RAID10, RAID5
supported in the Windows OS Environment) (Note 1)

So, I would forget about motherboard RAID. If you want to do RAID with disks connected to the the motherboard SATA ports, use software RAID via Linux md, LVM, btrfs, ZFS, etc..

What is the make and model of your RAID expansion card(s)?  Technical
documentation URL?

Areca arc-1220
https://www.areca.com.tw/chinaweb/products/pcie.htm

The Areca SATA RAID Cards USER Manual Version: 4.1 Issue Date: August, 2009, section 1.1 Overview, Easy RAID Management states:

"The SATA RAID controller utilizes built-in firmware with an embed-
ded terminal emulation that can access via hot key at M/B BIOS
boot-up screen. This pre-boot manager utility can be used to sim-
plify the setup and management of the RAID controller. The con-
troller firmware also contains a web browser-based program that
can be accessed through the ArcHttp proxy server function in Win-
dows, Linux, FreeBSD and more environments. This web browser-
based McRAID storage manager utility allows both local and remote
creation and modification RAID sets, volume sets, and monitoring
of RAID status from standard web browsers."

Section 3.1 Starting the McBIOS RAID Manager states:

"The McBIOS RAID manager message remains on your screen for
about nine seconds, giving you time to start the configuration
menu by pressing Tab or F6."

I would invoke the McBIOS RAID manager during POST to configure RAID volume(s) for the disks that are connected to this card. Search the Areca site, Areac community, STFW in general, etc., for advise on how to set up RAID for your number of disks and intended workload.

How many disks do you have, how many RAID's do you want, how many drives in each RAID, and what are the intended workloads of each RAID?

After Debian is installed, I would download the Linux Driver/ Utility and see what it has to offer (e.g. look for a README, etc.), but I would not install it immediately. Being able to monitor the card from Debian is very useful, but I have destabilized systems by downloading and compiling/ installing third party software and/or drivers. I would look for an Areca community and search for posts by people using that specific card, your specific release of Debian, and that specific version of the Driver/ Utility. Or, join and post a question for same.

David