Re: (pure text) Re: Trouble upgrading Debian (reply to David Wright)

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 12:20:26AM -0300, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
> My issue happened (this is my conclusion) because my Debian 9 was not
> updated when I followed the steps to change sources.list to those of
> Debian 10. This is something that should be added in Debian
> documentation, in my opinion.

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#system-status

  4.2. Checking APT configuration status

  [...]

  This procedure also assumes your system has been updated to the latest
  point release of stretch. If you have not done this or are unsure,
  follow the instructions in Section A.1, “Upgrading your stretch
  system”.

Admittedly, it's a bit hard to find if you're only skimming, but you
should be reading the full release notes before upgrading.

> I also made something much wrong by not rebooting the computer after
> each 'apt upgrade' for the next version.

Well, after the full-upgrade, but this is a good point.  Some of the
services (dbus) require a reboot to restart them.  And of course, you'll
still be on the oldold...stable kernel until you reboot.