Re: (pure text) Re: Trouble upgrading Debian (reply to David Wright)

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 12:20:26AM -0300, Dedeco Balaco wrote:

> Em 06/09/2021 23:48, Kenneth Parker escreveu:
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 7:58 PM Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org
> > <mailto:greg@wooledge.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Mon, Sep 06, 2021 at 04:46:21PM -0300, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
> >     > If it is trivial to me setting my mail manager to use the dark
> >     > background i need, and to make it ignore the (usually default)
> >     > background of color of all HTML messages, why the people in Debian
> >     User
> >     > list cannot do it? I will not change my setting! I need it. Learn to
> >     > deal with it.
> >
> >     Many people will "deal with it" by deleting your messages and moving
> >     on.  Just so you know.
> >
> >     For me, your messages seem OK.  Mutt is presenting me with readable
> >     text.  I don't know what other people are seeing.  However, if you're
> >     intentionally flaunting the guidelines and standards that make mailing
> >     lists work, you can expect a smaller audience for your requests.
> >
> > Greg, what I saw is Rich Text Format [1], different from html.  I
> > suspect Mutt (as well as gmail) presents it as it, without issue.  But,
> > unfortunately, not all email reader software would see it properly.
> >
> > Kenneth Parker
> >
> > [1] Rich Text Format.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format
>
> My issue happened (this is my conclusion) because my Debian 9 was not
> updated when I followed the steps to change sources.list to those of
> Debian 10. This is something that should be added in Debian
> documentation, in my opinion. It is also important to note that third
> party sources should be disabled, to avoid possible conflicts or
> problems that should be addressed only after the OS upgrade ends
> successfully.
>
> I also made something much wrong by not rebooting the computer after
> each 'apt upgrade' for the next version. So, i ended up with a computer
> with packages and sources.list of Debian 11, but it was not quite that.
> So, i remade all steps. And my first steps were to restore my Debian 9
> sources.list, 'apt update' and 'apt upgrade' it.
>
> A more detailed story is in the thread i pointed in my first message here:
>
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/upgrading-debian-distribution-4175700202/#post6281677
>
> Thank you all.

Hi Dedaco,

I _think_ that the issue of how to upgrade has been covered.
The release notes cover new features / removed software: the installation
notes cover features of the installation.

https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/ has
https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrade-to-debian-oldrelease
and section 4.2 covers this in detail. The instqallation guide is probably
not so relevant once you have a running Debian system.

Since the release on June 14th or so, this has been extensively covered
in threads here on this list as people have hit problems but I agree, we
could always do more. It has been repeated a few times in different
places that you can't jump a release straightforwardly, so it has to
be 9 -> 10 -> 11.

Having remade all the steps - do you now have a working system now?
[I'm busy fighting with a system that hasn't been upgraded in a while
and has flaky hardware at the moment: it's often hard to see where
problems are coming from when you are in the middle of them.]

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater