Re: Internet diagnosing

On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 04:57:44PM +0200, Julius Hamilton wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew a similar user email group like this one for
> questions related to internet connectivity. Maybe there is a widely used
> open source network software tool where people discuss network questions.
>
> My question is about there being some relationship between certain WiFi
> networks I use and my machine's inability to access the internet in some
> ways. For example, on one WiFi network, Google works fine in a browser, but
> Stack Overflow returns "This site can’t be reached; https://superuser.com/
> is unreachable.
> ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE". On another, I can use my Android browser
> normally, but nothing through Andronix (Android Linux).
>
> So I am curious where in the process the issue is, probably the WiFi
> network's settings? But, what kinds of settings are there? What would it be
> checking for to block Andronix, for example, or Stack Overflow?
>
> These are private networks so no one is blocking specific categories of
> sites, for example. The reason seems to be something more technical and
> accidental.
>
> Thank you,
> Julius

Hi Julius,

There are all sorts of reasons for your IP not to be trusted / not to be
reachable. There's no guarantee that someone hasn't put in a policy
somewhere saying "we don't trust cafe networks provided by $ISP / we
don't accept email from $PROVIDER wherever it appears to come from" and
they're on a deny list somewhere. Bad DNS / bad trust relationships for
SSL certs can crop up anywhere.

Within Debian,  see this quite often, for example, for some would be
contributors to wiki.debian.org who can't get in to register - because their
network has previously been blocked at some point for spam/DDOS or whatever.
The people concerned may be entirely innocent but can only be unblocked on a
case by case basis.

This would be off-topic on this list - which normally deals only with
issues arising from Debian - but it may be that someone else has
general, "best endeavours" advice which may help.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater