Re: Trouble upgrading Debian

On Sat 04 Sep 2021 at 23:04:49 (-0300), Dedeco Balaco wrote:

> today, i started to upgrade my computer from Debian 9 (Stretch) to
> Debian 11 (Bullseye). I had some trouble finding what i wanted to do, a
> completely internet based upgrade, if possible. In the Debian
> documention, i did not find this explanation. It says it can be done,
> but it does not explain how to do it.
>
> So, i opened the following thread. Do not read it now, there are more
> things i will say here, first.
>
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/upgrading-debian-distribution-4175700202/#post6281677
>
> In the thread, I was advised to not upgrade from Debian 9 to 11 in one
> step, because "jumping 2 releases will probably result in MASSIVE
> breakage". This should be in the official documentation, no? If there is
> this risk, it must be.

Yes, in the Release Notes. You can download the appropriate version from
https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/releasenotes

The warning is in § 4.2.1. It's recursive, so when you go back to
buster's, it has the same warning (§ 4.2), and the same for stretch,
jessie, and so on.

> So, i should to 2 upgrades: one to Debian 10, and one more to Debian 11.
> Fine. And for each one, the steps are:
>
> 1. Disable all third party repositories.
>
> 2. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect the next distribution i will
> have. Directly, this is just changing all "stretch" occurencies to
> "buster"; or all "buster" to "bullseye", in the second upgrade.

No, follow the Release Notes. For example, you should update and
upgrade the current version before you change sources.list, as the
main upgrade should be made from the latest point-release.

> 3. apt update
>
> 4. apt upgrade
>
> 5. apt full-upgrade
>
> But after my first edition to sources.list, apt update fails. I have
> tried apt-get update to, but it also fails for the apparently same reason.
>
> What should i do to solve this?

Presumably you need help here, so posting the error message is needed.
But do read the Release Notes (buster's in the first instance):
if you follow them carefully, it's possible you won't get failures.

Cheers,
David.