Re: which vs. type, and recursion?

On 9/4/2021 11:21 AM, Richard Hector wrote:
Greg Wooledge pointed out in another thread that 'type' is often better
than 'which' for finding out what kind of command you're about to run,
and where it comes from.

A quick test, however, threw up another issue:

richard@zircon:~$ type ls
ls is aliased to `ls --color=auto'

Great, so it's an alias. But what is the underlying ls? How do I find
out? I did find out, by unaliasing ls and trying again, which showed
that it's an actual executable, /usr/bin/ls, and not a shell builtin.

But is there an easier/better way? Can 'type' be asked to recursively
decode aliases?

I looked at the relevant section of bash(1) (when I eventually found
it), but was not particularly enlightened.

My understanding is that 'type' is to find the type while 'which' is to
find the executable path.

--
John Doe