Re: Why ``color_prompt`` is only set for ``xterm``?

On Fri 03 Sep 2021 at 03:15:13 (+0300), IL Ka wrote:

> .bashrc on bullseye contains following lines
>
> ```
> # set a fancy prompt (non-color, unless we know we "want" color)
> case "$TERM" in
>     xterm-color|*-256color) color_prompt=yes;;
> esac
> ```
>
> So we only have colors in the terminal emulator, but not in virtual
> linux console.
>
> This could be fixed by one more hardcode
> ``
>     xterm-color|*-256color|linux) color_prompt=yes;;
> ``
>
> But more robust way is something like:
> ```
> if [ -x /usr/bin/tput ] && [ `/usr/bin/tput colors` -gt 1 ]; then
>         color_prompt=yes
> fi
> ```

I'm not on bullseye yet, but buster's /etc/skel/.bashrc contains:

# uncomment for a colored prompt, if the terminal has the capability; turned
# off by default to not distract the user: the focus in a terminal window
# should be on the output of commands, not on the prompt
#force_color_prompt=yes

Have you tried removing the last # ?

(I use my own customisations for distinct colours on each host,
and inverse colours for root's prompt.)

Cheers,
David.