Re: masked service file

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 01:52:21PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 04:06:37PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
> >
> > Do you think your init system has some way to know WHY it was given a
> > command?  And that it stores these reasons somewhere, and can cough them
> > up on demand?
>
> Speaking as a professional sysadmin, I would welcome a required
> comment field on many system altering commands, so that a log
> could be kept and spit back on demand.
>
> # service saned status
> saned is not running
> 20210704 14:02:33 user root stopped saned saying "interfering with new printer?"
>
> Yeah, that would be nice.

I'd imagine that in practice, most people would put nothing, or "x", as
the reason, if they had to type a reason after every single command
they run as root.

That said, one of the data points you *can* get out of Debian for most
events is *when* they happened.  If mick crane wanted to ask *when*
the service was masked, and if they'd tell us the frickin' NAME of the
service they're asking about, we could probably tell them how to discover
when the service was masked.

In many cases, the timing can be a vital clue in one's explorations.