Re: How to avoid systemd/udev unpredictable NIC names

On Ma, 31 aug 21, 16:33:49, Reco wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 01:32:32PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > Another completely different approach is to use some other tool to
> > configure your network that can match on MAC address and just ignore the
> > names completely.
>
> Surely you meant ifupdown.

$ dpkg -l ifupdown
dpkg-query: no packages found matching ifupdown

> auto mac/ab:cd:ef:12:34:56/=eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>   address 192.168.1.123/24
>   gateway 192.168.1.1
>   dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1

Good to know, if I ever need to deal with ifupdown again ;)

Interestingly, you still have to assign some logical name to it, that
appears to be internal to ifupdown.

To me this looks like potential to create some confusion, especially if
using eth*/wlan* names.

Kind regards,
Andrei