[OT] Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I hear there's a lot of interesting discussions there about how to
> communicate safely, but sadly so far I haven't managed to configure my
> safe not-internet-connected machine to participate.

do you think it is possible to have public & encrypted discussion, when we
do not know each other? It is pointless.
My point is that even if you use GPG on network computer, it is a risk that
you get compromised.
I don't remember if it was StaxNEt that was making screenshots of your
mobile display and sending them home for further analyses and this was may
be 10y ago. Today with the one and only iPhone and Android ... even with
encrypted whatever part.

The best way is
1. download the encrypted message (usb/SD or uSD)
2. upload to isolated machine
3. decrypt, read, answer, encrypt
4. upload encrypted message to the networked machine (usb/SD or uSD)

Note: all keys on the isolated machine (especially the private keys)

This worked 30-40y ago, works also now (well back then it was a floppy
drive).
I am writing it, because people get lazy but in the same time wine about
privacy. On the battle field (or in the jungle) if you are lazy, you die.
It should be clear that even with the best security network it still may get
compromised. And if you are stupid, nothing can help you anyway :)