Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 09:45:28 +0100
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 09:24:50AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> >                              Fortunately most of the
> > conversations have been moving to WhatsApp (where they are supposed to
> > be encrypted, at least).
>
> Yeah, right. Encrypted. End-to-end. One of those ends is Facebook, though.
> Ouch.

I'm not sure whether you're being serious or facetious, but WhatsApp
apparently has genuine end-to-end encryption, using the Signal protocol,
and neither of the ends is Facebook.

Of course, it's closed source, so we can't know for sure what's really
in there, and I certainly won't use it, but as far as anyone knows, it
is the real deal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatsapp#End-to-end_encryption
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/04/whatsapp-is-now-most-widely-used-end-to-end-crypto-tool-on-the-planet/

Celejar