Re: Cookies and so-called Privacy Policy [was: Debian and Android]

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 12:13:32PM +0100, deloptes wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > A friend of mine once suggested to return /dev/random to a site's
> > cookie request. I'm tempted to try that :-)
> >

> sounds funny indeed

...and fuzzy (this would be a cookie parser fuzzer :)

> I actually got the message when I refused to concent. Usually it then (in
> most cases) turns the sh*t off and allows you to view the page, but in this
> case it said - "no sorry"

Yes -- I've seen lots of UI fantasy in that context. Mostly variations
on the "dark pattern" [1] theme.

One of the bigger hosting providers here in Germany, for its admin interface,
has one of those cookies thingy: either you say "accept all" (that's the
bright green button) or you say "edit preferences" (the light grey button
which nearly fades into the background).

So far, so normal. Now, you choose "edit" and disable everything you can
disable (a hassle, because there are like 5 checkboxes, from targeted
ads to affiliate networks).

There are then two buttons. Guess... The default one, again bright green
says "accept all cookies anyway", the grey one says "confirm settings".

Yeah, GDPR is fun. But I'm glad we have (at least) that.

> > Interesting times, for sure.
>
> yes indeed - from some personal sources in the EU commission they are
> watching these developments, but you know "International corporate
> law ..." - seems like they do not have many options or capacity to deal
> with the big brothers.
>
> Interesting times indeed

They'll put up a fight, for sure. And they have lots of money, too. But
their money is pretty volatile (watch twitter losing 20% of their market
value after they kicked Trump), and they are extremely dependent on
public perception (they are all ad companies, after all).

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_pattern

 - t