Re: LVM passphrase

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 08:55:29AM +1100, David wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 at 21:06, Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@debian.org> wrote:
> > Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside <debian@polynamaude.com> wrote on 28/12/2021 at 07:39:16+0100:
>
> > > I got two logical volume on my hard disk.
> > > One is the swap
> > > Other is the root
> > > Both have the same passphrase.
> > > How can I make grub ask only once ?
>
> > First, for the sake of clarity, I guess you are talking about LUKS
> > filesystems on logical volumes?
> >
> > If so, I guess you're not dealing with grub but with initramfs scripts
> > and then init asking for passphrases. Indeed, GRUB only asks the
> > passphrase of a potential encrypted /boot to fetch its configuration in
> > order to know what to boot.
> >
> > Now let's move to the initramfs + init passphrases prompts. Initramfs'
> > job is to find the root partition and "pivot" on it, ie exec /sbin/init
> > which is located on the root partition and which will mount the other
> > filesystems, start services, … you know the drill.
> >
> > To find the root partition, initramfs has a lot of helper scripts, and
> > if the root partition is encrypted, it also has access to cryptsetup
> > binaries and passfifo. It therefore prompts for a password to recrypt
> > your rootfs.
> >
> > Later on, init wants to make your swap available and therefore also
> > needs to ask you for a passphrase.
>
> I am not clear exactly what is being asked here. Is the question
> about Grub asking for passwords, or about the initrd asking
> for passwords? Grub will ask before booting the kernel, the
> initrd will ask after Grub invokes the kernel.
>
> I don't know about Grub asking for passwords, because I don't
> encrypt boot partitions. But if the question is about the initrd
> password prompt, then ...

Encrypting boot partitions would be hard - how would you get to the
point of entering a passphrase ... this is why "encrypted LVM setup" _doesn't_
encrypt boot in the default settings from the Debian partitioner.

> If we are talking about somehow using both LVM and LUKS
> in combination, then decrypting a single LUKS volume that
> has been partitioned into root and swap with LVM will only
> require one password given once to the init started by the
> initrd, when booting the system.

This is why the encrypted LVM setup in Debian has an unencrypted boot
and swap is contained within the single encrypted volume, I think

> Maybe providing the output of 'lsblk -f' would help to clarify
> the situation, so that we can see what is on the disk.

Hope this helps - all best, as ever,

Andy Cater