Re: LVM passphrase

Hi Andrew,

On 2021-12-28 5:00 p.m., Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 08:55:29AM +1100, David wrote:

> Encrypting boot partitions would be hard - how would you get to the
> point of entering a passphrase ... this is why "encrypted LVM setup" _doesn't_
> encrypt boot in the default settings from the Debian partitioner.

My boot partition is not encrypted.
I created the same scheme as Debian usually do for beginner (one
partition for all) except I wanted a larger swap space.
Now it ask twice for the passphrase.

I have one partition (/boot sda1) + another partition (logical /sda5)
I have one volume group
I have two logical volume, one being the swap (16 GB) and the other one
being my root (760 GB). Would 6 GB RAM + 16 GB SWAP be enough for a
simple laptop used for copying files from my cameras and doing basic
work on photo (the big stuff is done on my desktop).

>> If we are talking about somehow using both LVM and LUKS
>> in combination, then decrypting a single LUKS volume that
>> has been partitioned into root and swap with LVM will only
>> require one password given once to the init started by the
>> initrd, when booting the system.
>>

> This is why the encrypted LVM setup in Debian has an unencrypted boot
> and swap is contained within the single encrypted volume, I think
>
>> Maybe providing the output of 'lsblk -f' would help to clarify
>> the situation, so that we can see what is on the disk.

I will do so...

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside