Re: Packaging help: users and directories

I was given this advice from Arthur, a Debian developer, but I can't find some of the finer details I'm looking for:

-------
I recommend looking at https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide to some
pointers about how to make it easy to ensure your software can be
easily packaged in Debian.

If you're looking to create a deb package that is ready to be included
in Debian it is best to have your debian/ directory on a separate
branch. I recommend using git-buildpackage, see
https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit (this is what most
collaboratively maintained packages use now).

For information on how to create Debian packages see
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ (particularly
chapters 5 and 6). If you want to look at more of the background there
is the policy document, see https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

There are a lot of tools for efficiently building Debian packages. If
you want to test your builds in a more controlled environment you
should probably use pbuilder (of cowbuilder) because those use a clean
chroot to build your packages to ensure you have the correct
dependencies specified.

Hope this helps

Thanks