Re: Can mount external CD but can't play or rip tracks

Kete wrote:
> I can't figure out if this is a permission error or what, but I have an external DVD drive connected by USB. It mounts in my /media directory, giving my user read permission, but it won't play in SMPlayer or mpv. cdparanoia is "Unable to open disc." I can see the files in my file browser.

There are two different things going on.

Some optical media have read-only filesystems on them. There are
several variants, but the important thing is that they get
mounted as part of your filesystem and they contain files and
directories. DVDs are like this.

Some optical media have audio data on them, in a CD format.
This is how music discs show up. Any tools which works on them
has to talk to the drive, not to the disc on the drive.

Some file browsers mix the two, and present CD audio tracks as
though they were files. They aren't, really.

Tell us:

1. What kind of disc are you using?

2. Exactly what errors are you getting?

Then we can help.