Re: 8 -> 9 update changing things

?

> > With this having been done,  after restarting the virtualbox instance,  sound is now working there also.  What I might need to fiddle with in terms of systemd is not at all clear to me,  though.  I don't know why this would have changed with the upgrade.

Yes,  it's things changing when I upgrade that bother me about all of this...

> > Any further thoughts on this?
>
> Since it just happened... I'll say that pulseaudio is easily on
> the same level of reliability as Windows 95. I decided to test
> out the advertised capability of a music player as a USB DAC. As
> soon as I got things plugged in, the pulseaudio daemon crashed.
> After I restarted it, the pulseeffects equalizer service froze.
> After I restarted that, pulseeffects decided that it would be a
> good idea to use the USB microphone as both default input and
> output...

I don't know enough about what you're dealing with there to comment on this.

> It's currently working. But I'd so much rather have systems that
> didn't think that they should switch configurations
> automatically, since PA is so terrible at reading my mind.
>
> Anyway, upgrade to bullseye.

I'll get there.  But before I continue with upgrades,  I intend to fix what's broken,  and maybe trim some of the fat out of the system as it stands,  so I don't end up having to download and upgrade stuff I don't use or don't want.

In my initial install,  I selected multiple desktop environments,  so I could try them out.  While I was fine with real early versions of KDE,  I don't like where they've gone with it so I don't use it as a desktop,  though I do use a few of the utilities.  I seem to be seeing bits of stuff running,  though,  that shouldn't be.  And also from some of the other choices.  I need to clean that up a bit,  I think,  in addition to the above...

-
M Dakin