Re: biqu bx 3d printer ??

On Fri, 2021-12-24 at 10:41 +1100, David wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 at 00:50, Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Tixy,
>
> After reading your several musings in this thread regarding
> USB verses serial interfaces for CNC machines (3D printer, etc),
> I thought I'd respond, because I think they are missing the mark.
>
> > I guess it's possible to use a USB to serial chip in the
> > printer which then talks to a serial interface on the computer driving
> > the printer. But that is very clunky ...
>
> I have a budget 3 axis CNC router and that's exactly how it operates.
> Apart from that, I'm not involved with the CNC world, but I get the
> impression that this is standard practice at all scales, for historical
> and practical reasons.

You have more experience than me, so am happy to accept this as a more
accurate view than mine :-) Though to not give up in the specific case
of the $subject printer, it would seem perverse for this Kickstarter
funded project to not use the USB interface built into the SoC they are
using and instead add extra silicon for USB.

As a footnote, I have two devices myself where there is an FTDI USB to
serial interface chip built into a device to provide USB connectivity.
One is a Shevaplug which has a circa 15 year old SoC in it. The second
is my own 8-bit computer system :-) though this is using the chip
version that provide an 8-bit parallel interface to the FIFO, so
setting baud rate on that device has no effect.

--
Tixy