Re: GRUB really slow to boot

On Sat 18 Dec 2021 at 11:08:37 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Today I rebooted my machine for the first time in quite a while, after
> the kernel update that was released along with Debian 11.2.
>
> When it reached the GRUB screen, I pressed Enter, and nothing happened
> as far as I could see.  I was initially worried that it had stopped
> seeing my USB keyboard (a thing that I've experienced with GRUB and
> certain USB slots on certain machines in the past).  This keyboard
> plugged into this same USB slot had worked in previous versions of GRUB
> on this machine, though.
>
> The next thing I observed was that after 5 seconds, it still hadn't
> booted, nor had the coundown ("will automatically boot in 5s" or whatever)
> advanced.  It appeared to be hung.
>
> I waited a bit longer, and the 5s changed to 4s.  It just took a really
> long time (like 15+ seconds for each second on the timer).
>
> Eventually, after a minute or two, the system booted.  Everything is
> working normally now, post-GRUB.

Some of my machines are booted with

  set timeout=5

  menuentry 'Debian bullseye on 5740' {
  linux   /vmlinuz root=LABEL=5740 ro quiet
  initrd  /initrd.img
  }

Perhaps you could try with this; maybe "root=/dev/sdaX" is more
convenient. Also test with /vmlinuz.old and /initrd.img.old.
Remove the first line to simplify the file.

--
Brian.