Re: xmodmap settings lost when (usb) keyboard reattached.

On Wed 15 Dec 2021 at 16:53:54 (+0000), Tim Woodall wrote:
> I run the following command to switch my caps-lock to escape:
> xmodmap -e 'clear Lock' -e 'keycode 0x42 = Escape'
>
> However, if I disconnect and reconnect my keyboard (I have a KVM switch
> box so this happens quite a lot) the setting is lost.
>
> Before I start writing udev rules to auto reapply this setting when the
> keyboard is (re)attached, is there some other, better, way to make this
> setting stick?

You could try editing /etc/console-setup/remap.inc and running
# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
A change at that level might be inherited by whatever's
restarting and causing you to lose the settings.

Note that for whatever reason (lost in the mists), I always
run dpkg-reconfigure console-setup while X is not running,
ie not even in a C-A-Fn virtual console. That constraint
might have changed, IDK.

Cheers,
David.