Re: xmodmap settings lost when (usb) keyboard reattached.

On 2021-12-15 16:53:54 +0000, Tim Woodall wrote:
> I run the following command to switch my caps-lock to escape:
> xmodmap -e 'clear Lock' -e 'keycode 0x42 = Escape'
>
> However, if I disconnect and reconnect my keyboard (I have a KVM switch
> box so this happens quite a lot) the setting is lost.

FYI, there are bugs that were reported about 10 years ago:

"xserver-xorg: Xmodmap settings lost across suspend/hibernate"

"xserver-xorg: XKB settings lost after suspend (hibernate) / resume
or USB keyboard plugged in"

> Before I start writing udev rules to auto reapply this setting when the
> keyboard is (re)attached, is there some other, better, way to make this
> setting stick?

Note that this is a bit tricky as you need to remember $DISPLAY and
a "xhost +si:localuser:root" is needed. In the past, I wrote a script,
put in the /etc/pm/sleep.d directory:

but there were some issues with it, as I mentioned there.