Re: strange problem with usb wifi adapter

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 11:32:05AM -0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2021-12-15, Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 12, 2021, 8:31:17 AM EST, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> > Does this mean the official Buster netinstall kernel contains a free driver for your wireless card but the subsequently installed Buster user kernel does not?
> >

> > Sorry, Curt, I see your reply today, it's too late
> >
> > i think official buster debian-10.11.0-i386-netinst.iso has non-free firmware, but it isn't installed to user's target device
> >
> > apparently both use non-free mt7601u firmware
> >
> > if they have free driver for my adapter, surely they shall install to my target device
> >

> No problem; I was thinking later my remark was actually pretty stupid
> (ruining my stellar reputation here), but I'd seen this (believing if
> there was a kernel driver that meant it was open source or something)
>
>  https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/MT7601U.html
>
> and also experienced mild incredulity in discovering the official netinstaller
> might contain a non-free entity (that it inexplicably deprives the
> obliviously "tainted" user once its job is done), which got me to
> wondering what in heaven's sake the *unofficial* netinstaller was for,
> the official one already being a little bit pregnant anyway, as it were.

So: if it works - you need firmware-linux-nonfree which pulls in
firmware-misc-nonfree [For Bullseye]

  * MediaTek MT7601U firmware, version 34 (mt7601u.bin)

is in firmware-misc-nonfree.

If you use the unofficial non-free installer, that would be found on
boot, I think. If you then install a desktop environment, you would get
the ability to configure it with network-manager or whatever other utility.

Hope this helps, all the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater