Re: BUG: Debian 11 version of bibletime - was [Re: Problems with "Bible Time" and "Xiphos"]

(What I wrote below is) tl;dr :: Is localepurge installed on the
system(s) where the handbook is not reachable? I can't reproduce it
just this second (even though I thought I encountered it just a couple
hours ago during upgrade), but I swear I've seen docs occasionally
included in what is purged. On average, this is what is seen as the
localepurge's operation feedback:

localepurge: Disk space freed:   1564 KiB in /usr/share/locale
localepurge: Disk space freed:    640 KiB in /usr/share/man
localepurge: Disk space freed:      0 KiB in /usr/share/tcltk
localepurge: Disk space freed:      0 KiB in /usr/share/help

I'm about "this sure" that I've additionally seen /usr/share/doc
appear there as a fifth line, too. Down below, I've posted file paths
for all four currently available bibletime-data versions. There's been
some change going on. In that case AND if something like localepurge
is installed, maybe there's a potential bug that needs addressed on
one end or the other.

On the "maybe not" side, I went ahead and installed bibletime on
Bookworm. Nothing at all was purged on the four above lines. BUT:
Maybe something's purged in earlier Debian releases...?? I don't have
any installed to test drive it.

My understanding of localepurge is that it's about purging materials
that are installed by default in some packages but that a User
declaring a language specific LANG might not ever need. Am saying that
because I noticed several language options in the bibletime handbook
directories. That provides a place where a glitch might result in a
needed language accidentally getting purged.

As a related aside, this webpage:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/180400/is-it-safe-to-empty-usr-share-doc

Says it found this in localepurge's own docs:

"Please note, that this tool is a hack which is not integrated with
Debian's package management system and therefore is not for the faint
of heart. This program interferes with the Debian package management
and does provoke strange, but usually harmless, behaviour of programs
related with apt/dpkg like dpkg-repack, reportbug, etc. Responsibility
for its usage and possible breakage of your system therefore lies in
the sysadmin's (your) hands."

On 12/13/21, Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 8:25 PM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

>> > apt-file search bibletime show that package bibletime-data contains a
>> > handbook and howto subdirectory in
>> >
>> > /usr/share/doc/bibletime-data
>>
>> NOT TRUE when running Debian 11 in southwest Missouri USA.
>>

> Is True with Debian 11, KDE.
> I am browsing the Handbook now.  Interesting.
>
> IS  TRUE when running Debian 10 in southwest Missouri USA.
>>
>> How do I identify/select physical repository that is being queried by my
>> run of apt-file?
>>

> Interesting!  Apt-File isn't installed by default.  (But I got it easily)
>
> Okay, apt-file is bigger than a bread basket.  So I will defer to the other
> apt-file experts.
>
> However, your symptom suggests that bibletime-data might not have been
> completely Installed.

A slightly minor "pain", but I just downloaded and peeked into all
four bibletime-data versions available in Debian's repositories. These
are the paths that resulted:

Stretch (oldoldstable)
bibletime-data_2.10.1-3_all/usr/share/bibletime/docs/handbook

Buster (oldstable)
bibletime-data_2.11.2-11_all/usr/share/bibletime/docs/handbook

Bullseye (stable)
bibletime-data_3.0-5_all/usr/share/doc/bibletime-data/bibletime/handbook

Bookworm (testing)/Sid (unstable)
bibletime-data_3.0.2-1_all/usr/share/doc/bibletime-data/handbook

Bookworm/Sid's pbibletime-data parent directory also contains this symlink:
bibletime-data_3.0.2-1_all/usr/share/doc/bibletime/handbook

There may be other symlinks that I missed, but that's enough for now.
Feels like they're toying with ways to do something like accommodate
for future growth (additions).

Change happens. Always copacetic here as long as maintainers have made
all appropriate respective alterations within the programming code so
that everything continues to function as expected. Since some members
are successfully reading their handbook here, sounds like that
happened so something else is glitching somewhere.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
* runs with birdseed *