Re: Problems with "Bible Time" and "Xiphos"

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 8:57 AM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
I have two machines using MATE desktop:
   A. Primary is Debian 9.13
   B. Secondary machine which will become current
      1. Debian 10.7
      2. Debian 11.1

Chronology

I looked through the repository for Bible study tools with KJV with
Strong's Concordance and GUI. Multiple commentaries preferred. "Bible
Time" and "Xiphos" seemed to give appropriate range of options and had
the same choice of reference works.

I installed both on my Primary machine. The Xiphos had more desirable
features but was unusable as it defaulted to always displaying the
Strong's number for everything. I found the Debian 11 repository had a
more recent version.

I installed both programs to the Debian 11 partition of my secondary
machine. I ran into two problems.

1. In Xiphos, I was not able to download Bible and reference works from
    the SWORD library. I resorted to using Synaptic to download them from
    the Debian repository. Both programs were able to display selected
    passages. Due to larger variety of material I would prefer to use the
    SWORD library.

2. Bible Time has Help options available via F1, F2, and F3. All report
    "Module not available".

I then installed both programs to the Debian 10 partition to check for
"operator error" &/or version differences. As I had tried to first use
Xiphos on the Debian 11 install, I started with Bible Time on the Debian
10 install. It happily went looking for online libraries. Installed what
I requested and they were available also to Xiphos.
ALSO F1, F2, and F3 work.

Two sets of questions.

Is anyone using these on Debian 11? Is there an appropriate USER
oriented list? [I found a SWORD list for Xiphos - but it appears to be
developer oriented.]

How can I completely purge both from the Debian partition [including
code, data, *AND* configuration]. I've never removed a program before ;/

I wish to replicate the steps and order used on the Debian 10 install to
distinguish whether there is a code or operator error.

TIA

I'm always online, so I just use online tools (biblegateway.com and bible.cc primarily), but I just installed bibletime to see how it behaves (it looks better than my vague memory of trying to use it a decade or so ago), and the F1 & F2 keys both bring up a local html document; the F3 key brings up the "Tip of the Day" window.

I'm using Cinnamon rather than Mate, on bookworm/sid.

You can "aptitude purge bibletime" which should get rid of the program as well as its config files in /etc. I believe "apt" and "apt-get" have a similar purge feature. This will not delete any config files belonging to your local user. You can probably find and delete those files, but it might be "cleaner" just to create a new local user and log in as that new user for testing, maybe even logging into a different windowing/desktop environment as part of the testing process.

--
Kent West                    <")))><