Re: Unable to print with HP Envy 5030 under Debian 11

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 06:18:29PM +0100, Erwan David wrote:
> Le 12/12/2021 à 17:46, Brian a écrit :
> > On Sun 12 Dec 2021 at 15:37:20 +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> >
> > [Extensive snipping because HPLIP is redundant with Debian 11 (amd
> > also with Debian 10).]
> >
> > > So what do I need to do to allow me to print with this printer please?
> > Read the Releade Notes for Debian 11 and adjust your mindset :).
> >
> Could you please point the relevant part of the release notes ? This would
> be helpfull

Hi people

The following might help:

2.2.2. Driverless scanning and printing

Both printing with CUPS and scanning with SANE are increasingly likely to be
possible without the need for any driver (often non-free) specific to the
model of the hardware, especially in the case of devices marketed in the past
five years or so.

2.2.2.1. CUPS and driverless printing

Modern printers connected by ethernet or wireless can already use driverless
printing, implemented via CUPS and cups-filters, as was described in the
Release Notes for buster. Debian 11 “bullseye” brings the new package ipp-usb,
which is recommended by cups-daemon and uses the vendor-neutral IPP-over-USB
protocol supported by many modern printers. This allows a USB device to be
treated as a network device, extending driverless printing to include
USB-connected printers. The specifics are outlined on the wiki.

The systemd service file included in the ipp-usb package starts the ipp-usb
daemon when a USB-connected printer is plugged in, thus making it available
to print to. By default cups-browsed should configure it automatically, or
it can be manually set up with a local driverless print queue.

2.2.2.2. SANE and driverless scanning

The official SANE driverless backend is provided by sane-escl in libsane1.
An independently developed driverless backend is sane-airscan. Both backends
understand the eSCL protocol but sane-airscan can also use the WSD protocol.
Users should consider having both backends on their systems.

eSCL and WSD are network protocols. Consequently they will operate over a USB
connection if the device is an IPP-over-USB device (see above). Note that
libsane1 has ipp-usb as a recommended package. This leads to a suitable
device being automatically set up to use a driverless backend driver when
it is connected to a USB port.

[Cut and paste from the Debian 11 release notes: wrapping done by me.]

Hope this helps,

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater