Re: telling if we've actually booted from /boot/xen-4.14-amd64.gz

On Fri, 10 Dec 2021, Charles Curley wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 22:11:04 +0000 (GMT)
Tim Woodall <debianuser@woodall.me.uk> wrote:

Is there a good way to do what I want (which is to avoid missing an
automatic upgrade and then not rebooting for months)?

If you are using the unattended-upgrades package, you can set it to
send you emails. Those emails will let you know which packages are
upgraded, and if a reboot is required. See
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades.

Aside from your use case, I highly recommend doing so if your hard
drive is encrypted.

I don't use that but I do something similar. Does unattended-upgrades
email me each day until I reboot? If so then I should take a look at
switching to use it. (I've been doing it 'my way' since potato - so
change is hard ;-) )

Tim.