Re: Firefox ESR EOL

Am I allowed to top-post myself :-)

If we want to make comparisons, why not talk about the BSD flavors? Or Slackware?
Those are more apples-to-apples comparison.

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021, 5:03 PM Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeovanis@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021, 2:44 PM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 05:11:05PM +0000, piorunz wrote:
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Web-Browser-Packages-Debian
>
> :(
>
> --
> With kindest regards, Piotr.
>
> ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
> ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
> ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/
> ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Yes: not great but also not informed. We do package the latest versions as
we can - the latest dependency on Rust is a problem and the point about
needing to build toolchains is very valid.

Too many comments there are just Debian-bashing with no real understanding.

The one thing that would be good would be a backport of the mesa-utils to
Bullseye as that would also solve problems with Debian and GUI apps under
WSL2 and Windows :)

And there's an even better example than the one I mentioned. But none of them are negatives on Debian or its maintainers. Who could have predicted the constant churn in linux GUI and graphics and X-Windows since, say, 1996 when I first started-up twm on a German distro's real MIT X-Windows at home. Just like on high end Unix workstations in office and lab.
That churn is all across Linux, not Debian.

Debian tries to cover every base there. And it simply isn't humanly possible. But the maintainers march forward, covering as much ground as they can.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater