oddjob-mkhomedir question

Greetings everyone,

(apologies for the resend, but my initial attempt to post the below to the list well over half an hour ago from my other address (CCed) hasn't yet made it to the list, though i don't know why, so...)

i'm not subscribed to the list (but will check back via the web archives for responses that don't get CCed or BCCed to me).

Given that fact, do feel free to loop me in directly via (B)CC if you wish (though again, it's not necessary).

i've been using debian for ~25 years, and first of all, i have to express my debt of gratitude. It just keeps getting better and better.

Bullseye is truly awesome.

On this relatively new platform, i was able to quite trivially get pam-ldap functionality (for SSH logins) working. However, after installing the oddjob package(s), a user who does not yet have a home directory on the server is still not getting one autocreated upon SSHing in.

I've looked in log files, bumped sshd_config loglevel up to DEBUG, and restarted dbus, ssh and the oddjobd services.

Should any of you have any advice about where to look in order to troubleshoot (there seems to be no evidence that any attempt was even made to create a homedir upon the user logging in), i'd love to have you share it.

And/or if there's a different auto-create-homedir solution you might suggest, I'm also happy to try that (it does seem that oddjob is somewhat redhat specific?).

    thanks again for all that you all do -- what a great community,
                 ~c

--
charlie derr <charlie.derr@gmx.com>
https://medium.com/@cderr