Re: qemu from backports and libvirt from main won't coexists

Greetings Alexander,
thank you for the explenation, is there a place where I can see when libvirt might arrive to bullseye-backports?
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2021 at 4:42 PM
From: "Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbetev@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: qemu from backports and libvirt from main won't coexists
On 03.12.2021 18:14, daggs wrote:
Greetings,

I'm trying to install qemu from bullseye-backports on a system with libvirt from bullseye, when inspecting the output I notice this:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libvirt-daemon libvirt-daemon-system

why is that? is there a way to make both pkgs coexist?

Thanks,

Dagg

Take a look at information about one of the dependencies of 'qemu':
    $ apt show qemu-system-common/bullseye-backports

The 'Breaks:' section of "qemu-system-common" package says "libvirt-daemon" needs to be at least version 7.2.0-1 or later.
Now let's see what versions of "libvirt-daemon" available in Debian repos:
    $ rmadison libvirt-daemon

Since there are no backported version exists yet and latest version is 7.0.0-3, apt demands removal of conflicting packages.

You have two options.
First is to simply wait until "libvirt" will be backported from testing and hits bullseye-backports.
Second option is to try and create backported package¹ from sources available in testing by yourself.

¹ https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀