Re: why Debian?

For debian and ubuntu, which one should I choose as my personal development  system?
Thanks.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 7:02 PM Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> wrote:
Thanos Katsiolis <kls.thanos@gmail.com> writes:

> The reasons I chose them is that Debian is considered a stable and reliable OS (the policy of the OS is not to
> include as many and as much quickly as possible new features), and that it has a large and dependable community.

Isn't that enough? I guess I'd say the policy of Debian is that it
works. Personally, I had used Linux off and on in the 1990s but there
were issues. I was otherwise a Unix user in school and work, mostly
Sun's Solaris but also Digital and HP and some others I don't remember
any more.

A friend and colleague recommended Debian around late '90s and I
installed Debian, 2.0 Hamm I think. It just worked, as in I ran the same
installation on my ever morphing desktop computer for almost a decade
until I made the switch to 64-bit. I guess that "new" 64-bit
installation is now over a decade old then. Updates work and it does't
barf when I change hardware.

For sure I have other computers these days and my desktop alone has
Windows 10 and Arch Linux in addition to Debian. But mostly I use
the desktop and the Debian on it.