Re: what is flooding /var/tmp?

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:53:21 +0100
"sp007@caiway.net" <sp007@caiway.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:59:06 -0500
> Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 04:23:23AM +0100, sp007@caiway.net wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > My /var/tmp directory gets flooded by big files named:
> > >
> > > sort01ei1t
> > > sort01Eq7u
> > > sort01sLAs
> > > sortzZZtvv

The files are generated by a cronjob for updatedb.

There is no file /etc/updatedb.conf so I created one, containing one
line:
PRUNEPATH="/mnt/nas"

When I run updatedb manually updatedb does also index /mnt/nas
So /etc/updatedb.conf doesn't work for locate

So I edited /etc/cron.daily/locate
The line
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /amd /alex /var/spool /sfs
/media /var/lib/schroot/mount"
I changed to
PRUNEPATHS="/mnt/nas /tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /amd /alex /var/spool
/sfs /media /var/lib/schroot/mount"

This should work I guess, as long as I do not run updatedb manually.

Then I installed mlocate, this has a /etc/updatdb.conf with a line in
it: PRUNEFS=".. fuse.sshfs .."

mlocate works out of the box
plocate also

locate has a severe bug with mounted sshfs

I switched to plocate

Thanks all