Re: what is flooding /var/tmp?

On 11/24/21, sp007@caiway.net <sp007@caiway.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My /var/tmp directory gets flooded by big files named:
>
> sort01ei1t
> sort01Eq7u
> sort01sLAs
> sortzZZtvv
>

> the files are approx. 13 Gb each.
> In 24 hours > 6000 are written.
>
> My big partition is filled by it until the system freezes.
>
> The files are plain text files, containing sshfs paths:
>
> /mnt/nas/sshfs/proc/self/task/413551/root/proc/self/task/413551/root/proc/self/task/413551/root/proc/self/task/413551/root/proc/
>
> nas and desktop are running debian 11 daily updated.
>
> How can I find out which program is writing these files?

Hi, and WOW. While you're waiting for others to chime in, I found the
following that references basically what you're saying AND
specifically about Debian:

https://serverfault.com/questions/281374/what-is-creating-var-tmp-sort-files/281380

Because I'm not versed in this, I'm not going to try to bring it over
here. I don't want to mess it up. That took at least six or eight
different ways of asking the same question before that potential
answer FINALLY popped up at the top of the search.

IMPORTANT: They mention that one might need to run that "lsof" on the
directory/files a few times if necessary before you finally receive
usable information. It apparently needs to catch the culprit in the
active act of doing whatever is going on.

Best wishes...

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey