Re: Offtopic: Transfer a programm from DOS to Linux

Hi,

Hans wrote:
> As far as I know, this application is written in C, it is running in
> textmode ("ncurses-mode").
> [...] I wondered, ho
> difficult for an experienced coder it will be, to get a DOS application
> natively running in linux.

Hard to say without seeing code and build system.

Did you already consider to install a free DOS system to a virtual machine
and to run the application there ?

> Is DOS C and Linux C compatible, so that such thing could be easy?

C is not a typical programming language on DOS. Similar to ncurses it
stems from Unix. But of course there are C compilers and *curses versions
for DOS.
I would expect that the C code can be compiled on GNU/Linux. The adventure
is likely to begin when the linker shall put together the compiled code
and the libraries from where this code wants to use functions.

> This application gets its signal then from the if-module via the souzndcard

Access to hardware imposes additional adventure. It is likely that this
part of the application has to be adapted or even re-written to what
you get offered by Linux for accessing this hardware.

(What is an "if-module", btw ?
Google does not give me proposals which look like radio enthusiasm.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas