Re: Offtopic: Transfer a programm from DOS to Linux

* On 2021 21 Nov 05:54 -0600, Hans wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I know, there are lots of coders here and I have a question. There is an old
> DOS application I found, which is open source and GPL.
>
> As far as I know, this application is written in C, it is running in textmode
> ("ncurses-mode").
>
> Since there is no similar linux based application like this, I wondered, ho
> difficult for an experienced coder it will be, to get a DOS application
> natively running in linux.

Hi Hans.

I think the difficulty will be whether it was written for the DJGPP[1]
compiler (a port of GCC to DOS, as I recall) and this uses C library
calls and the actual ncurses library.  If it was written using classic
DOS interrupts and direct video hardware access, then the task would be
quite a bit more difficult, I would think (note that I am guessing, not
having done anything like this).

Perhaps the easiest way is to install FreeDOS[2] in a virtual machine
(QEMU[3] is in the archives, Virtualbox[4] requires a slight bit more work)
and run the program from there.  Then tackle development in that
environment while slowly working toward a native Linux build.

> For those, who are interested, this is what this application is for:
>
> The application is for radio enthusiasts. It can recognize every radio
> transceiver with its transmission. This is because every radio transceiver has
> its very personally transient response, just like a fingerprint. This
> application gets its signal then from the if-module via the souzndcard and
> shows the very special transient response as a graphic. These graphic can be
> named and whenever the transceiver is sending again, it will be recognized.
> Very useful to recognize and rerecognize unwanted stations.

As a radio amateur myself, I find the above intriguing.  I don't recall
hearing of this program before.  I am aware that such radio transmitter
fingerprinting has been known for a long time.

> I can send the app wherever you want to (attaching it here, does not allow to
> send the mail strangely), so everyone can take a look. This app is available
> in the web, but a little bit hidden, if you do not know its exactly name.

Better would be to send the URL.  What CMS is it in, CVS, SVN, something
else?  I'd be interested in preserving the source code history as much
as possible and then moving that into Git.

- Nate

[1] http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
[2] https://freedos.org/
[3] https://www.qemu.org/