Re: Why can I not uninstall this package? (fwd)

Apologies, meant to reply to the list. I thought answering N to reply to
all went to the list, not to the author - something else I need to fix...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 19:10:24 +0000 (GMT)
From: Tim Woodall <debianuser@woodall.me.uk>
To: The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: Why can I not uninstall this package?

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021, The Wanderer wrote:

The manually-installed package list can be gotten by running

$ apt-mark showmanual

and if you redirect that into a file you'll have a copy for later reference.

That apt-mark is incredibly useful too. Could have saved myself hours
of working through packages working out which ones can be uninstalled.

Just done (after first checking the list of packages it would change)

apt-mark auto $( apt-mark showmanual | grep ^lib )

Then set libreoffice-writer and libreoffice-calc back to manual

And then apt-get autoremove --purge found another four libraries I could
remove. Only 800K of diskspace extra by this point but still, nice to
have when you've only got 4GB to play with.

I shall work through the full list of manually installed packages
flipping those I don't explicitly want to auto - that might find some
more that should be removed too.

Many thanks!