installation catch 22

I have been trying to install Debian on an older computer using the CD1 install.

The installation runs through to completion but the system does not boot up.
I have tried several times with the same result.

I am able to log in and look at the log file where it informs me that some firmware
needs to be updated. (red warnings)  I have a CD with the firmware but how do I
install it if the system will not boot?

It seems to me that if the system can install it should be able to run as all of the peripherals
needed are available.  Then I can install the updates.