Re: Debian 9 on H410 hardware / Upgraded to 11 - Zenity width quirk

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 12:59:35PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Greg Wooledge composed on 2021-10-21 09:27 (UTC-0400):
>
> > Now, knowing that this is a piece of hardware that was released in 2021,
> > I would *not* attempt to run Debian 9 on it.  You *might* be able to
> > run Debian 11 on it, if you're lucky!
>
> Early 2021 (Q1) is when that particular G6405 model was launched[1], but it's a
> Comet Lake, which was originally launched August 21, 2019[2], so should be
> Stretch-compatible at least via backports.
>
> [1]
> <https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201901/intel-pentium-gold-g6405-processor-4m-cache-4-10-ghz.html>
> [2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Lake_%28microprocessor%29>

I was able to get Debian 9 mostly compatible, by using the latest 5.X
kernel, however, opengl didn't seem to be supported.  So instead of
trying to patch that up, I bit the bullet and upgraded to 10, then to
11.

Now everything seems to be fully compatible. GL version shows 4.6, and
GL Renderer is Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 610.

I use a number of zenity dialogs for showing info or asking questions on
this system.  On the Deb 9 system, these dialogs displayed with a
reasonable width/height, without explicitly setting either --width or
--height options.  However, after upgrading, I noticed the info,
warning, and question dialogs display only about 10 text characters per
line.  For instance, zenity --info --text "The quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dogs", displays in 5 rows, instead of in 1 row like it
used to before upgrading.  The behaviour is the same on a fresh install
of 11.

Was curious if anyone else had issues with this, and if there is a way
to change the default behaviour.  Or do I need to go through and add
--width and --height options in every instance where zenity is used?

Thanks!
Allen