Re: preseeding Bullseye

On Sun 14 Nov 2021 at 10:54:38 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 14 Nov 2021 at 08:14:49 (+0000), André Rodier wrote:

> > > Does it work if you do what is suggested at (1):
> > >
> > > "### Localization
> > > # Preseeding only locale sets language, country and locale.
> > > d-i debian-installer/locale string en_US
> > >
> > > # The values can also be preseeded individually for greater flexibility.
> > > #d-i debian-installer/language string en
> > > #d-i debian-installer/country string NL
> > > #d-i debian-installer/locale string en_GB.UTF-8
> > > # Optionally specify additional locales to be generated.
> > > #d-i localechooser/supported-locales multiselect en_US.UTF-8, nl_NL.UTF-8
> > >
> > > # Keyboard selection.
> > > d-i keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap select us
> > > # d-i keyboard-configuration/toggle select No toggling"
> > >
> > > Also look at the logs (2) to see what's going on!
> > >
> > > Note that this e-mail is folded by my mailer.
> > >
> > > 1)  https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/example-preseed.txt
> > > 2)  https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s04
> >
> > No, it does not work, it's still stuck on the same screen.
> >
> > The solution that worked for me was to add it as a boot parameter.
>
> For the record, there is also this note in the Installation Guide:
>
>   In order to easily avoid the questions that would normally appear
>   before the preseeding occurs, you can start the installer in “auto”
>   mode. This delays questions that would normally be asked too early
>   for preseeding (i.e. language, country and keyboard selection) until
>   after the network comes up, thus allowing them to be preseeded. It
>   also runs the installation at critical priority, which avoids many
>   unimportant questions. See Section B.2.3 for details.

A good FTR. However, when I tried this a few years ago it didn't work
for me. Maybe I lacked patience to sort it out properly. That is why
I went to boot parameters for language and keyboard.

The OP does not say how the preseed file is provided to the installer.
My recollection (not checked) is that putting it in the initrd is the
only way of ensuring language and keyboard preseeding from the start
of the installation.

--
Brian.