Re: why Debian?

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021, 6:27 PM Thanos Katsiolis <kls.thanos@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am new to the Debian distribution and I would like to hear opinions from experienced users on why someone should choose them as OS.
The reasons I chose them is that Debian is considered a stable and reliable OS (the policy of the OS is not to include as many and as much quickly as possible new features), and that it has a large and dependable community.

Debian stable release(currently 11 bullseye) is the most stable distro as
It's tested by not only it's maintainers but
Also by its downstream maintainers for
Offshoot distros(which include both commercial and community) and their users as well

It has some strict policies for being stable including seperation of free and non-free software, source only uploads,
Reproducible builds of packages.

Debian maintainers are highly Experienced. Some of the package maintainers are also upstream authors

Most software is tested on Debian/Debian based distros (manual or CI). Which makes it even more robust in practice. Eg. Android. Indeed Debian Linux kernel is the most used kernel of all distros (including kernel.org source builds).

Debian community is very large in that you get 24hrs support as its community is wide spread across the world and so are security patches