Re: rsync failing to back up to synology server

Sharon Kimble wrote:

> After enduring a home move, I'm now trying to restart my rsync backups
> to my synology server, but none are working!
>
> I have this command for backing up my emacs -
>
> - --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> /usr/bin/rsync -avhz --update --delete --partial --password-file="$PASS" ~/.emacs.d/ boudiccas@192.168.1.106::home/back-emacs/
> - --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> but every time it shows this error message -
>
> - --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     @ERROR: auth failed on module home
>     rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1817) [sender=3.2.3]
> - --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> It seems that its not getting the correct password to enable the backup
> to happen, but what password? Is it my password on my source machine, or
> the log-in password for my synology server, or what? I've tried various
> passwords, but I still can't get it to backup, so help please?

rsync either uses ssh or its own protocol to connect across
networks. Almost everyone uses ssh.

Using double colons
boudiccas@192.168.1.106::home/back-emacs
indicates that you want the rsync protocol, which required rsync
to be running in daemon mode on the other side.

Use one colon there, which indicates SSH, and use boudicca's
login password on the 192.168.1.106 box.

If
ssh boudiccas@192.168.1.106
doesn't work, debug that first.

-dsr-