Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

On Friday 12 November 2021 17:01:01 The Wanderer wrote:

> On 2021-11-12 at 16:52, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> No need to do it the hard way:
> >>
> >> For each disk, run
> >>
> >> # wipefs /dev/sdX
> >>
> >> which will not destroy anything ; it will list the commands needed
> >> to remove the existing filesystems.
> >>
> >> Then run that command, generally of the form wipdefs -o 0x1000 or
> >> such, which will complete in seconds.
> >>
> >> Repeat for the next disk.
> >>
> >> -dsr-
> >
> > root@coyote:~$ wipefs /dev/sde -o 0x1000
> > wipefs: error: /dev/sde: probing initialization failed: Device or
> > resource busy
> > And I have to reboot as mdadm has no stop command. Thats BS.
>
> Eh?
>
> From the mdadm man page (at least on my machine):

But not on mine but I'll be switched, it worked and I was then able to
format both and have the bigger one mounted, this time w/o any fussing
after typeing yes,

Like I've said 2 or 3 times, my man pages for a lot of this are NOT
uptodate. Very frustrating.

And thank you, a bunch!

>        -S, --stop
>               deactivate array, releasing all resources.
>
> And from the EXAMPLES section:
>
>          mdadm --stop --scan
>        This will shut down all arrays that can be shut down (i.e. are
> not cur‐
>        rently in use).  This will typically go in a system shutdown
> script.
>
> While it's probably not possible to stop the mdraid backend (since
> IIRC it's part of the kernel?), it should certainly be possible to
> tell it to let go of the devices it's managing.

It sure did. Thank you again. Now I can proceed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis