Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 09:22:12 -0500
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> So
>
> mdadm --create --verbose /dem/md0 --level=10 --raid-devices=4
> /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/sdg /dev/sdh
>
> should work.

It should. But there are good reasons to put partitions on the drives
first and use the partitions..

> but once assembled, does it need formatted?

Yes. It's a raw block partition.

I put LVM on, and made a logical volume which left some space so I
would have lots of flexibility in my array.

There is a systemd service in Bullseye that creates a snapshot of LVM
logical volumes, fscks the snapshot, and reports the result if there is
an error. So I leave at least 20 GB available on my system disk for
that. Leaving a chunk available for that on your RAID array strikes me
as a good idea.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com