Re: Where do I find the definitive man page for mdadm?

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 09:22:12AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> mdadm --create --verbose /dem/md0 --level=10 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/sdg /dev/sdh
>
> should work.

You may want to create identical partitions on each of the devices
first, and use those instead of the raw unpartitioned devices.

The reason is that there is hardware (primarily motherboards) out
there that get upset when they see a drive without a partition
table, and just blindly make one, which corrupts your RAID. There
are ASRock motherboards which are known to do this at every boot.

Such things are broken of course and ideally would be avoided, but
having all your drives corrupted isn't a nice way to discover that
you own one.

> but once assembled, does it need formatted?

It will be an empty block device like any other. You get to choose
what filesystem to put on it, or use it however else you might use a
block device.

Cheers,
Andy