Re: Problem with Synaptic

On 11/11/2021 03:11 PM, Brian wrote:
On Thu 11 Nov 2021 at 14:34:20 -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

On 11/11/2021 02:06 PM, Brian wrote:
On Thu 11 Nov 2021 at 12:38:33 -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

I am running buster on my Linux platform.

I have installed a new Brother Laser print using the current Brother
Linux installer.
The MFC-L2710DW is a modern device and is completely supported by
packages shipped with Debian 11 (bullseye). It is also completely
supported for printing via a wireless connection on buster.

The packages needed for USB connections and scanning do not come
with buster but can easily be obtained from

    https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan

Do yourself a favour and read

    https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSQuickPrintQueues

A user with a device such as yours does not need proprietary,
non-free printing or scanning drivers in 2021.

Very interesting. Thank you.
Interesting indeed. Reaching for printing and scanning drivers,
whether free or non-free, is still a user's first thought. I
suppose one should work to tackle the issue you outline but
switching to driverless printing and scanning is a lot easier
and makes most problems involving drivers go away. Additionally,
it future-proofs the printing and scanning systems.

This is the immediate problem that I need to fix:

comp@AbNormal:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: The package brscan4 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

sudo apt update ran without any problems.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net