Re: No video after boot SOLVED

On 11/11/21 4:58 PM, Paul M. Foster wrote:
On 11/11/21 4:39 PM, keithrbaugroups@gmail.com wrote:
On 12/11/21 08:25, Paul M. Foster wrote:
Folks:

This is a shot in the dark, but I'll try it.

I have a new ASUS Prime H570M-Plus/CSM motherboard (LGA1200 socket) with an Intel i3 10100 CPU (10th gen, with UHD630 graphics) in it. I have a DVD drive in it and a 500GB SSD. I've used a live CD/DVD in this machine to install Debian 11 to the SSD. It boots, and does a couple of lines of the usual boot chatter (ramfs and such), and then the video simply stops (no signal). I've tried two monitors, various cables. The install went without a hitch, so I know that at least the installer runs without difficulty, no video glitches.

I know that as Debian starts up, it adjusts the video several times on my main desktop as it boots. This is about the point where the new system simply stops outputting video. I'm afraid that there's an issue here where the kernel version (5.10.xx) is too far back to handle the way the i3 handles video mode changes, or something like that.

Does anyone have a clue about this?

Paul

Good morning

Have you tried booting recovery mode?

If you think the problem is kernel, 5.14 is available in backports.

Recovery mode generates slightly more jabber on screen, but then does the exact same thing-- video signal disappears.

There's a *more* advanced kernel in backports? I thought backports was for old stuff. And I've never used it, not sure how to do it. The other problem here is that, if I could actually boot, I could update the kernel. But without being able to boot the drive, I can't quite imagine how I'd update the kernel.

Paul

Your suggestion was spot on. I plugged the new drive into my main machine, booted it, then configured /etc/apt/sources.list to accept backports. Updated. Installed the 5.14 kernel. Made sure it would boot from my main machine after that. Then took it out and plugged it into the new machine. Video works now. So it *was* a problem with the 5.10 kernel and the onboard graphics from the i3 chip.

Thanks,

Paul