Re: Is "Debian desktop environment" identical to "GNOME" upon installation?

On Fri 05 Nov 2021 at 17:02:01 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 2021 at 04:04:17PM +0000, Brian wrote:

> > > Guessing here... because a live version already has a desktop
> > > environment on the disk, so it make sense to default to installing that
> > > one. E.g. if you choose, say, the XFCE live iso, it would default to
> > > XFCE not Gnome. Would be a bit perverse otherwise.
> >
> > I rather thought the Live images contained a copy of d-i but am not
> > going to download an ISO to refresh my menory. I will offer
> >
> >   https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live-manual/customizing-installer.en.html
> >
> > I'd see it as a bit unusual for this copy to differ from the regular d-i.
> >

> A few things:
>
> 1. GNOME is only the default on AMD64 / i386 - on some of the ARM variants,
> it's still XFCE, I think.

Fine, but this is not, IMHO, the OP's concern. He is using amd64/i386.
Nevertheless, it is something to be aware of.

> 2. XFCE _was_ the default for a one CD install until Buster - it's now
> too big for one CD so there is no longer a CD which will install as
> single desktop by default.

Correct, but I do not think we are into CD vs DVD in the OP's issue.
This is something to discard from our thinking.

> 3. The live CDs are designed so that you download the one with the desktop
> you want. The "standard" one installs a minimum Debian with standard packages
> and no gui.

OK, but the relevance to the OP's issue is obscure. Does it need to
taken into account for the issue raised?

> 4. Live CD install is not guaranteed to be the same as the traditional
> Debian installer. Calamares is very significantly different. Live CD/DVD is
> maintained by a different libe CD team and not by the Debian media team.

Ah! Calamares. It alters the way tasksel behaves in d-i? Heaven help us!
Is that is what is meant when it is claimed  by Greg Wooledg:

 With the "Live" installers, the default is different"?

Calamares introduces a new ball game?

Alejandro Colomar's observations are quite clear and reprducible. It
would be expected he would be along later to expand on them.

--
Brian.