Re: Is "Debian desktop environment" identical to "GNOME" upon installation?

On Fri 05 Nov 2021 at 12:50:23 +0100, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did some test by installing 2 identical virtualbox instances (EFI turned
> on) with the same netinst image <debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso>.
>
> I typically use XFCE, so I wanted to test if leaving "Debian desktop
> environment" marked would affect or not my XFCE installation.
>
> It does.
>
> a)
> | [ ]  Debian desktop environment
> | [*]    XFCE
>
> b)
> | [*]  Debian desktop environment
> | [*]    XFCE
>
> Using (b), I end up with 12 more installed packages.  I checked that there
> weren't any available upgrades after installing both (apt-get update &&
> apt-get upgrade showed 0).
>
> The offending list is:
>
> hv3
> libsqlite3-tcl
> libtcl8.6
> libtk-img
> libtk8.6
> tcl
> tcl-tls
> tcl8.6
> tcllib
> tk
> tk-html3
> tk8.6
>
> Maybe there's a bug somewhere in tasksel?
>
> I did some tests running tasksel again after the installation, and were
> intriguing, but I'll hold the deeper tests for after this is inspected.

Bearing in mind that a bullseye installation of mine does not have a
DE but does have xorg, the commands

  apt install task-desktop task-xfce-desktop
  apt install task-xfce-desktop

tell me that 759 packages are needed in both cases. None of the packages
you cite are mentioned in either list or already present on the sytem..

--
Brian.