Re: Mutt can not delete mails

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021, Hans wrote:

I answer yes, and it appears "temporary file could not be created".

Pressing again "q" and now answer "no", mutt closes.

Does this help?

check the ownership/permissions on /tmp

Should be:
drwxrwxrwt 12 root root  8192 Oct 28 17:05 .

I've noticed some issues with upgrading ancient original installs (some
going all the way back to potato) where /tmp doesn't have the correct
permission but the system has worked perfectly prior to upgrade.

I've not tried to investigate - I don't know if the permission/ownership
was always wrong or has been changed as part of the upgrade.

(One possibility would have been that /tmp was, for some unknown reason,
owned by me as mode 775 and got changed to root.root mode 775 instead of
mode 1777. These problem systems are sufficiently old that it's
perfectly possible that I hacked something I didn't understand all
those years ago when writing to /tmp failed)

Tim.